It appears you're using an outdated browser, please upgrade your browser to improve your Pure Package experience and security.

Nutrition Myths

Nutrition Myths

Nutrition has been a hot-topic for a while now. Although this is exciting as it’s making many of us more health conscious, with too much information we are also bombarded with so much conflicting information, myths and fads!

Our nutritionists have put together a few of the most common misconceptions about food, healthy eating, weight loss and the truths we want you to know.

  1. Fat Free foods are healthier than full fat versions.

 This is usually not the case. Especially when it comes to processed foods. When manufacturers remove a certain ingredient (like fat) from a certain food, they need to compensate for the taste by adding other not-so-healthy ingredients, most of the time it’s either sugar or salt. Fat is a necessary part of a healthy diet, it is also very satisfying which means you will eat less. Usually, you’re better off eating a small serving of the full-fat kind so you actually enjoy it and feel satiated. At The Pure Package we are very dedicated to providing you with the highest quality and natural produce – have a look at our variety of programmes here


  1. Organic food is always healthier.

Foods should not be labelled ‘healthy’ just because they are organic. For example, some organic snack foods still have high levels of salt, sugar, unhealthy fats and empty calories and their consumption should still be kept to a low level.

When it comes to fresh produce, choosing organic versions of the “dirty dozen” (the foods that typically have the highest amount of pesticides) is a good way to cut back on chemical consumption (e.g. apples, celery, berries).


  1. Carbohydrates make you fat.

Any food in excess will eventually lead to weight gain. Our brains rely on carbs to function and they are an essential part of a healthy diet. The best sources of healthy complex carbohydrates come from whole grains, veggies and fruits and these should be included in a healthy diet as they provide vital nutrients and fibre that can help with weight loss. Even a lettuce leaf contains carbs! For many people, a low-carb diet may be harder to stick to in the long run and eventually could even lead to weight gain.


  1. Eggs will raise your cholesterol.

Eggs should be enjoyed as part of a healthy diet and they don’t significantly impact cholesterol levels or heart disease risk when consumed in moderation.

Eggs are rich in cholesterol, however, only 25% of the cholesterol in our blood comes from food. The other 75% is manufactured by the liver when we consume high amounts of saturated fats (the unhealthy type!).


  1. Eating after 6pm will make you fat.

What you eat and how much you eat is far more important than the time of your meals. If you eat more calories than your body needs – you will gain weight, even if dinner is before 6pm! The problem is that most of us have hectic work schedules and don’t eat the right food to fuel our bodies and end up starving at night and overeating all the wrong foods.

We all work under different personal schedules and should do what is realistic and best within our daily routine as well as listen to our bodies!


  1. Sports drinks are the best post-workout fuel.

Unless you are training very intensely in extreme heat for several hours, plain water is more than sufficient to keep the body hydrated! It will successfully quench your thirst and replenish lost fuels. If you have regular sports drinks after your 45 minute gym session, this may just add unnecessary calories (and sugar!).


  1. Always pick gluten free options.

Eating gluten free won’t necessarily make you healthier if you don’t suffer from Celiac disease or a gluten intolerance/sensitivity. For example many gluten free breads and biscuits use nutrient-poor refined flours that should be avoided in a healthy diet. Avoiding gluten if you are healthy can make you miss out on important vitamins, minerals as well as fibre.