Beef and horseradish is a match made in heaven, usually found at the centre-piece of a Sunday roast. For those days when I don’t have the time – or inclination! – to make a roast, this wonderful salad gives me a taste of all the component parts, but with a wonderful peppery salad crunch.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 3 minutes
Dietary info: Wheat free, Gluten free
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 200g fillet lean fillet of beef
- 1 teaspoon fresh horseradish paste
- 2 tablespoons low fat natural yoghurt
- Juice of a lemon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 small beetroots, ready cooked, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 large handfuls of watercress, washed and large stems removed
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Heat the oil in a medium non-stick frying pan, and fry the beef over a high heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side. Remove from the pan and leave to rest.
- Next make the horseradish dressing. Mix the horseradish, yoghurt, olive oil, lemon juice and mustard together, stirring well to combine the flavours. Add the beetroot and mix until the dressing turns pink.
- Mix the watercress and the spring onions in a wide shallow serving bowl. Remove the beetroot pieces from dressing and arrange on top.
- Slice the beef into thin slices.
- Place the beef on top of the salad, and spoon the dressing over it. Season with black pepper and serve.
It is always best to cook fillet when it is at room temperature, so take it out the fridge for 20 minutes or so before cooking.
This salad is wonderful as a filling for an open-bread sandwich, topped with slices of fresh radish.
This recipe comes from Jennifer’s book The Balanced Diet. The Orion Publishing Group, ©Weidenfeld & Nicolson.