I love these turmeric chicken skewers – it reminds me of wonderful meals eaten from tiny food-stalls on my travels around Asia. At home I use steel skewers, which aren’t as authentic as the wooden ones street-sellers use, but the end product is just as delicious – and easier to prepare. If you do use wooden skewers I recommend you soak them as the chicken marinades.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 mins minutes
Dietary Info: Wheat Free, Gluten Free
- 1 heaped teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and mashed up
- 50ml natural yoghurt
- 1 large free-range chicken breast, skinned and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 metal skewers, at least 8 inches long
- Turn your grill on full and heat a non-stick baking tray.
- Make the marinade / dressing by mixing the turmeric, chilli powder, lemon juice, garlic and yoghurt in a large mixing bowl.
- Coat the chicken in the marinade / dressing.
- Put the chicken pieces onto the skewers and place on the non-stick baking tray (pour over remaining marinade) under the grill, discarding any excess marinade. Turn the skewers every 2 minutes or so, so that each exposed part of the chicken is properly cooked.
This recipe is equally delicious with fish (particularly salmon) or peeled king prawns.
Carb Sides: Algerian Rice; Bombay Potatoes;
Veg Sides: Sukuma Wiki; Roasted ratatouille; Balsamic Carrots
Recipe and photo from Jennifer Irvine’s The Balance Diet