You will be eating the rainbow with this salad – a classic combination of beetroot, sweet potato and goat’s cheese… with the added surprise of tarragon which compliments and counteracts the other ingredients’ sweetness.
Preheat oven to: 200oC/400oF/Gas Mark 6
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Dietary Info: Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- 600g sweet potatoes, cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- 400g cooked beetroot, cut into large dice
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 handfuls watercress, thick stalks removed and washed
- 240g sugar snap peas, washed
- 2 tablespoons tarragon, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- 140g goats cheese, crumbled or cut into bite size pieces
- Tip the sweet potatoes into a non-stick roasting tin and roast in the oven for 30 minutes until soft. Remove from the oven and when cool enough to handle, toss together with the sesame seeds.
- In a mixing bowl mix the beetroot and balsamic vinegar together.
- Whisk the balsamic vinegar and water together to make dressing.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the watercress, sugar snap peas, tarragon and ½ of the dressing until well combined. Season with ground black pepper.
- Arrange the watercress salad on a large serving platter. Top with the roasted sesame sweet potato, beetroot and crumbled goats cheese. Drizzle over the remaining dressing.
The better cheese you buy, the yummier your salad. You could also grill the goat’s cheese if you fancy.
Photo Credit: The Balance Diet, by Jennifer Irvine. Published by the Orion Group, available on Amazon.