Smoked mackerel fillets are a favourite in my house when I’m looking for something even quicker and easier than usual to have for lunch or supper. They really are the ultimate convenience food: Already cooked for you, and packed full of essential fats and omega 3’s. This substantial salad gets the thumbs up every time I serve it.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- 6 small baby potatoes, halved
- 5 tablespoons of low-fat natural yoghurt
- Juice of a lemon
- Small handful finely chopped fresh parsley
- Ground black pepper
- 1 x 100g pack of Lamb’s Lettuce or baby spinach leaves, washed
- Half a small cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 4 baby plum or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 small mackerel fillets
- Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling water for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain and cool by running under cold water.
- Mix the yoghurt with the lemon juice, and season to taste with ground black pepper. Add the finely chopped parsley and stir well. Set aside for the flavours to infuse.
- Place the salad leaves, cucumber and tomatoes in a large serving bowl. Top with cooled potatoes.
- Remove the skin from the mackerel, flake the fillets into bite-sized pieces, and scatter on top of the salad.
- Spoon over the yoghurt dressing, and toss the ingredients together. Serve.
If you fancy something even lighter – and quicker – flake the mackerel fillets and mash thoroughly with the dressing ingredients to form a chunky pate/dip. Serve with toasted rye bread.
Recipe and photo from Jennifer Irvine’s The Balance Diet