This is one of the easiest ways to prepare asparagus.
The roasting results in a wonderful light crunch which marries so well with its sweetness, and the tomatoes will be just warmed through, bursting with a delicious juice which brings all the flavours together.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Preheat oven to 200oC/400oF/Gas Mark 6
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- 10 asparagus spears, ends discarded
- 12 baby plum (or cherry) tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon (20gm) fresh grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon torn fresh basil
- Place the trimmed asparagus in a single layer in an oven-proof dish and surround with the tomatoes.
- Drizzle over the balsamic vinegar over the vegetables. Place in the oven for 10-12 minutes (depending on the size of the asparagus spears), turning once.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the cheese and torn basil on the top.
- Allow the cheese to melt into the vegetables slightly before serving onto warmed serving plates.
As asparagus is so seasonal, you can substitute the asparagus for fine green beans and use feta cheese instead of parmesan
This recipe is from Jennifer’s book, The Balance Diet available on Amazon (The Orion Publishing Group). Dan Jones Photography