A great alternative to dips and chips, this recipe is the result of unexpected guests arriving when the cupboards were bare of canapés. I simply poached some fresh hens’ eggs and served with asparagus. It’s something our guests have been demanding ever since and is particularly lovely with drinks in summertime.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 4 minutes
Dietary Info: Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegetarian
- 12 asparagus spears, ends discarded
- 4 fresh free-range medium eggs at room temperature
- Steam the asparagus spears over a pan of simmering water for 3 minutes.
- Bring the water to just below boiling point and then add your eggs. If you would prefer, you can break them into a cup and then pour into the water, this way you will have a nice neat egg.
- Remove the egg from the water with a slotted spoon.
- Serve the poached eggs on serving plates and dip the asparagus spears into the runny yolk.
Photo credit: The Diet for Food Lovers book by Jennifer Irvine, The Orion Publishing Group, available on amazon.