Nutritionist and client services team member Roxanne shares her gluten and dairy-free take on the classic lemon drizzle cake.
Preheat oven to 160oC/320oF/Gas Mark 3
- 250g spelt flour or gluten free flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 free range eggs
- 120 ml plant–based milk
- 160ml maple syrup or honey
- 60ml melted coconut oil
- Juice and zest of 2 freshly squeezed lemons
- 150g blueberries
Optional drizzle topping
- 1 ½ lemons, juiced
- 85g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 160C. Oil and line a 900g loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl then add oil, syrup, milk and lemon zest and juice. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and stir together.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle blueberries with a teaspoon of flour. Gently fold these into the batter. Do not over mix once the blueberries are added.
- Pour the batter in to the loaf tin. Bake for 45-55 mins or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling, make the drizzle. Mix together the lemon juice and caster sugar. Prick the cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle.