Get a taste of Ireland with this good old fashioned fresh, no-fuss soda bread with a St Patricks day twist. Celebrating her Irish roots, our founder Jenny has added pesto to the recipe, which gives this loaf a delicious flavour.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Preheat oven to 200ºC/ 180ºC fan/Gas Mark 6
- 500g plain wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 400ml whole milk
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tsp honey
- Pesto (optional)
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Mix together the milk and lemon juice in a jug, and wait for a minute as it magically turns into buttermilk. Then stir in the honey.
- Mix together the flour, salt and bicarb in a bowl.
- Pour the milk into the flour mixture. Mix until the whole thing comes together into a sticky dough.
- Add in the pesto and shape it into a ball.
- Put the ball on a floured baking tray and, using a sharp knife, make a deep cross on top.
- Put in the oven and bake for 40 mins.
- Cool on a wire rack until warm, then slice and serve.