This is a really popular dessert here at The Pure Package, it’s well loved and very simple to make. Dark chocolate is a rich source of antioxidants. You can either eat it as a mousse or even pop it into the freezer to make a lovely ice cream. We suggest topping with raspberries or hazelnuts to give it that extra crunch and flavour.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Dietary Info: Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- 100g plain dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 8 free-range egg whites, at room temperature
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of gently simmering water.
- Leave to cool slightly and stir in the cocoa powder.
- The secret to this recipe is to have the temperature of the chocolate and eggs similar so nothing is shocked.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and fold them into the cooled melted chocolate.
- Spoon into four small cups or ramekins and chill for a couple of hours or overnight.
Dust with a little cocoa powder before serving.
You can use pasteurized eggs for this recipe (find them in the chiller section of supermarkets), which means it will keep longer.
This recipe comes from Jennifer’s book The Diet for Food Lovers
The Orion Publishing Group, ©Weidenfeld & Nicolson