Cranachan is a traditional Scottish dessert. While traditionally made with whisky, cream and raspberries, we created this lighter alcohol-free version for us, with extra nuts and fruit, which is perfect for breakfast. On Burn’s night, however, you could revert to the traditional whisky- and cream-based recipe!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Dietary Info: Wheat Free, Vegetarian
- 20g large porridge oats
- 75g raspberries
- 75g blackberries
- 100g low fat natural yoghurt
- 100g half-fat crème fraiche
- Place the oats in a non-stick frying pan and toast over a low heat, stirring regularly for about 3 minutes, or until they start to change colour. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Place half of the each of the berries into a small mixing bowl and mash well with a fork.
- Add the yoghurt and the crème fraiche and stir to create a “rippled” effect.
- Gently fold in the toasted oats, almonds and the whole berries. Save a handful of berries for decoration.
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Divide the mix between 2 serving glasses, and drizzle the honey on top to serve, and decorate with a few berries.
- Drizzle honey over the top.
Play around with a combination of any berries that are available, or you could double the amount of raspberries
This recipe is from Jennifer’s book, ‘The Balance Diet’ available on Amazon (The Orion Publishing Group)