This is a sweet, tangy, creamy beetroot tzatziki recipe, which works just as well as a dip as it does nestling up to fish or meat. It’s completely moreish, and it’s very likely that you’ll find yourself tucking into the bowl with just a spoon! Traditionally tzatziki is made with Greek yoghurt, but the sharpness of goat’s milk yoghurt offsets the sweetness of the beetroot wonderfully.
Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 10 minutes chilling time
Dietary Info: Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 100ml goat’s milk yoghurt
- 1/4 cucumber, peeled, de-seeded and finely diced
- 100g cooked beetroot, finely diced
- Small handful of fresh mint, finely chopped
- Small handful of fresh dill, finely chopped
- Mix the oil and the vinegar with the yoghurt.
- Add the cucumber and the beetroot, stir well, then mix in the herbs.
- Cover, and put in the fridge for 15 minutes.
Dollop onto individual plates, or tuck into the serving bowl.
Beetroot stains! As well as being sure to wear an apron when using it, I also wear gloves when handling it.
Dollop into warm flatbreads with your choice of salad and some plain shredded chicken, for a hearty and fabulous lunch.
Recipe and photo from Jennifer Irvine’s The Balance Diet