These muffins have a really good natural sweetness from the honey and sultanas, and the best thing is my kids love them so it’s the perfect way to get them to eat more fruit. “More” is their verdict!
Preheat oven to: 160oC/325oF/Gas Mark 3
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
- 150g rice flour / ground rice
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 120g sultanas
- 120g ready to eat dried apricots, chopped
- 120g ready to eat dates, chopped
- 40g pecan nuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 80ml sunflower oil
- 150ml apple juice
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 2 free range eggs, beaten
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases. Sift the rice flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and cinnamon into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sultanas, apricots, dates and pecan nuts.
- In a separate bowl, mix the honey, sunflower oil, apple juice, mashed banana, grated apple and eggs together. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet mixture. Stir gently with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Divide the batter equally between the 12 muffin cases and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or cold.
These muffins get better with age…try them a couple of days after baking and you will be very pleasantly surprised.