This is our take on the classic french toast. The difference being that instead of traditional white bread, we have used wholesome rye or spelt bread, which gives added texture and flavour to the finished dish.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Dietary Info: Vegetarian
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 2 slices rye or spelt bread
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon groundnut oil
- Beat the eggs in a bowl wide enough to hold both slices of bread. Cut the pieces of bread in half, and lay each slice in the egg. Leave to soak for about a minute before turning over for another minute.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the honey and cinnamon. Put the kettle on to boil and get a larger bowl. Put the small bowl inside the larger bowl and pour hot water into the large bowl, allowing the honey to warm through and become runny. Set aside.
- Place the groundnut oil in a non-stick frying pan over a high heat. When hot, add the egg-soaked bread. Leave to cook for 2 minutes without moving, then flip over and cook on the other side for 1–2 minutes.
- Divide the bread between the serving plates and drizzle with the cinnamon honey. Top with banana slices and blueberries, dollop a tablespoon of crème fraîche on top, and eat immediately.
- 1 banana, sliced
- 100g blueberries
- 2 tablespoons half-fat crème fraîche
Recipe and photo from Jennifer Irvine’s The Balance Diet