This recipe is a perfect, colourful evening meal; the beauty of it is that you can customize your stuffing with whatever you fancy. This one is big on flavour.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
Dietary Info: Gluten-free, Vegetarian
2 small butternut squash (about 500g each)
1 tablespoon groundnut oil
2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
280g jar sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and roughly chopped in half
4 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
200g Feta cheese, lightly crumbled
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
520g fine green beans, tails removed
- Prepare the butternut by cutting off the top stem, then cut in half lengthways and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Place the butternut on a baking tray, cover with another baking tray and roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the butternut is soft, cooked through and has a slightly coloured surface.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the onions and sweat over a low heat for 4-5 minutes until they are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- In a bowl mix the sundried tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, crumbled Feta, basil and cooked onions together.
- Remove the butternut from the oven and scoop out most of the flesh so there is space for the filling. (Reserve the flesh for future use). Fill the butternuts with the stuffing mixture. Return to the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Steam the beans over a pan of boiling water for 4-5 minutes until tender. Remember to keep the bite!
- Remove the butternuts from the oven and serve immediately with the green beans.
This recipe comes from Jennifer’s book The Diet for Food Lovers. The Orion Publishing Group, ©Weidenfeld & Nicolson.