Here’s a healthy, wholesome, utterly delicious and comforting breakfast which consistently tops our “favourite recipe” list. It’s more than worthwhile making from scratch, but if you have any leftover mashed potatoes to hand, the meal almost makes itself.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Dietary Info: Wheat Free, Gluten Free
- 200g smoked salmon
- 150g cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives, snipped
- 300g whole baby potatoes, skin on
- 300g seasonal vegetables; leeks, curly kale, cabbage, carrots, broccoli, peas, brussel sprouts, prepared and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives, snipped
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons groundnut oil
- 4 fresh free range eggs at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling water for 12-15 minutes, until tender. While the potatoes are cooking, steam the vegetables in a steamer over the pan of potatoes for 7-10 minutes. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, roughly chop/smash.
- Return potatoes to the pan over a low heat for 1-2 minutes to dry out. Stir in the cooked vegetables, chives, sage and spring onions. Season with ground black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the bubble and squeak mixture and press onto the base of the pan. Cook over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Flip it over (it doesn’t matter if it breaks, as it doesn’t have to be in one piece) and cook for a further 4-5 minutes until golden, bubbling and squeaking!
- When the bubble and squeak is nearly cooked, poach the eggs. Bring a pan of water to a rolling boil, then reduce the heat so it’s just simmering. Crack the eggs gently into the pan (or crack into cups first). Simmer gently for 3 minutes until the white is cooked and the yolk is just beginning to set, but still runny. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- While the bubble and squeak is cooking, line a baking sheet with grease proof paper. Place the smoked salmon slices on the paper and warm in the oven for 5 minutes.
- While the salmon is warming, fold the cream cheese, lemon juice and chives together in a small bowl.
Spoon the bubble & squeak into the centre of four warmed serving plates. Lay the poached eggs over the top. Delicious!
Bubble & Squeak is traditionally a dish designed to use up leftovers, so feel free to use whatever veg you have in your fridge or left over after a big roast.
Recipe taken from Jennifer Irvine’s Diet for Food Lovers