This flavourful lunch takes no time to make, and the essential oils in the trout fillets can boost brain power.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
You will need:
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 cm slices
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 3 teaspoon lemon juice
- 40g raisins
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 smoked trout fillets, flaked
- 2 tablespoons crème fraiche
- cracked black pepper
- 8 slices rye bread
- small handful coriander, finely chopped
- 2 large handfuls lambs lettuce, washed
- 20g pine kernels
- Steam the carrots over a pan of simmering water for 8 minutes until tender. Drain and transfer to a mixing bowl. While still warm, add the cumin seeds, honey, lemon juice, raisins and olive oil. Stir to coat in the dressing and leave to cool
- Meanwhile, mix the smoked flaked trout filled with the crème fraiche and lemon juice. Season with cracked black pepper.
- Toast your rye bread.
- Stir the coriander through the cooled carrot salad.
- Spread or pipe the trout pate onto the rye bread triangles. Arrange the lambs lettuce on a serving platter. Spoon the carrot salad on top of the leaves around the edge of the platter. Place the trout pate toast in the middle, and sprinkle over the pine kernels.
Resist the urge to toast the pine nuts. Once toasted, the essential fats turn into saturated fats. They still taste yummy un toasted.