Our founder, Jennifer Irvine fell in love with Gazpacho when her Spanish friend Pilu made it for her. She brought it with her in a flask to a picnic in Central Park, giving her a first taste of this classic soup. It’s so easy and simple-and an incredibly speedy recipe to make.
Prep time-5 minutes
Wheat free, Gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian
- 1 Spring onion, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 4 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cucumber, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- small handful of basil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ice cubes
- Put the spring onions, tomatoes, red pepper, cucumber, garlic and basil in a blender, and blend until completely smooth – about 2 minutes of continuous blending.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil and pepper, and stir to mix. Taste and adjust seasoning where necessary.
- If the soup seems too thick, add a couple of tablespoons of cold water, and stir through.
- Place 2 ice-cubes into each chilled bowl, divide the soup between the bowls, and sprinkle the basil on top. Serve immediately.
Balance Box tip-
If you like a sharper taste, replace the lemon juice with 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar. If you have more time, chill the soup in the fridge and then serve immediately (no need for the ice cubes).
This recipe was taken from Jennifer Irvine’s book ‘The Balance Diet’. Available to buy here.