This recipe is a perfect, colourful evening meal; the beauty of it is that you can customize your stuffing with whatever you fancy. This one is big on flavour.
Preheat oven to 200oC/400oF/Gas Mark 6
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
You will need:
- 2 small butternut squash (about 500g each)
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 280g jar sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and roughly chopped in half
- 4 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 200g Feta cheese, lightly crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 520g fine green beans, tails removed
- Prepare the butternut by cutting off the top stem, then cut in half lengthways and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Place the butternut on a baking tray, cover with another baking tray and roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the butternut is soft, cooked through and has a slightly coloured surface.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the onions and sweat over a low heat for 4-5 minutes until they are translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- In a bowl mix the sun-dried tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, crumbled Feta, basil and cooked onions together.
- Remove the butternut from the oven and scoop out most of the flesh so there is space for the filling. (Reserve the flesh for future use).
- Fill the butternuts with the stuffing mixture. Return to the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Steam the beans over a pan of boiling water for 4-5 minutes until tender.
- Remove the butternuts from the oven and serve immediately with the green beans.
This recipe is from Jennifer Irvine’s first book: The Diet for Food Lovers. Available from Amazon.