Now that summer is a distant memory, why not look at some spectacularly stunning castles to visit for an October break.
Across Europe, many castles have been transformed into hotels, and provide a truly unique and special location to get away from it all. We have compiled a list of some top castle destinations for you to sit back and enjoy sweeping landscapes and delicious local food.
1. Amberley Castle, West Sussex, England-Step back in time at Amberley Castle, which has been nestled away for the past 900 years near the beautiful Amberley village in the South Downs countryside. The castle may be immersed in history, but there’s nothing old fashioned about their luxurious 19 rooms, with whirlpool baths and four poster beds. www.amberleycastle.co.uk
2. Chateau de Bagnols, France- Chateau de Bagnols looks exactly like those castles you imagined as a child, complete with a moat, drawbridge and towers with cruciform arrow holes. But it is also a wildly romantic five star hotel. The 21 rooms, including 8 apartments, are exquisite, all individually decorated and filled with an array of antiques and works of art. Rates: from £312 a night. www.bagnols.com
3. Fenton tower, North Berwick, Scotland-This magnificent fortified 16th Century tower which stands imposingly above the fertile farmland of Eastt Lothian offers stunning views over the Firth of Forth. With very dedicated staff, it offers outstanding service and cuisine in a secluded and secure setting. Rates: from £155 pp per night. www.fentontower.co.uk
4. Burg Wernberg, Germany-Dating back to the 12th century, this castle hotel sits high on a hill, offering panoramic views over the Bavarian countryside. Steeped in history, the castle was converted back into a hotel in 1953. Since then, guests have been able to enjoy the Gothic charm of the building. A more contemporary appeal with the cuisine, a lot of it is reliant on regional produce, including game from the nearby forests. Rates: from £200 a night. www.burg-wernberg.de
5. Castel Porrona, Tuscany, Italy- Tucked within the rolling Tuscan hills in a delightful village dating back to the 11th Century, surrounded by vineyards, sunflower fields and olive groves lies Castel Porrona. Each of it’s 22 rooms offers stunning views of the village and the Italian countryside beyond. Rates: from £150 a night. www.castelporrona.it