This colourful salad gives you a protein punch (great for a post-workout meal) and makes for a very appetizing lunch or dinner!
Chicken Superfood Salad (serves 4)
3 free-range chicken breasts, skin on
60g quinoa, rinsed
120g barley couscous
About 240ml hot vegetable stock
1 teaspoon olive oil
500g broccoli, cut into small florets
320g peeled cooked beetroot
Juice of 3 limes
1 tablespoon water
140g watercress, thick stalks removed
Freshly ground black pepper
Handful alfalfa sprouts
Handful sprouted peas
• Place the chicken breasts on a non-stick baking sheet and roast in the oven for 25 minutes. Leave to cool, discard the skin and cut or shred into thin slices.
• Meanwhile, cook the quinoa until just cooked, about 15 minutes or according to the packet instructions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Make the couscous according to the packet instructions, about 4–8 minutes, using vegetable stock and olive oil instead of water.
• Steam the broccoli over a pan of simmering water for about 8–10 minutes or until tender.
• Cut the beetroot into bite-size pieces. Halve the cucumber lengthways, spoon out the seeds and slice into crescent-shaped pieces.
• Whisk together the lime juice and water to make a dressing. Mix the quinoa, couscous, broccoli, beetroot and cucumber together in a large bowl. Pour over half of the dressing and toss to mix. Use two forks to fold through the dressing and don’t over mix otherwise the quinoa and couscous will become lumpy. Be gentle!
Mix the watercress through the quinoa and couscous mixture and season with black pepper. Place in the middle of a large salad bowl or serving platter. Arrange the sliced chicken on top and scatter with alfalfa sprouts and sprouted peas. Serve with the remaining dressing.