Renowned for its ugly appearance, celeriac’s beauty is most definitely to be found within! This is our variation of “Celeriac Remoulade”, a classic French salad which can be as simple as grated celeriac mixed with herbs and mayonnaise. We’ve livened it up a little, and made it even tastier – and healthier.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
You will need:
- 50ml crème fraiche
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon cornichons, roughly chopped
- 200g celeriac root, peeled and roughly grated
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Squeeze of fresh lemon, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, mix the crème fraiche, mustard, lemon juice, capers, and chopped cornichons. Put into a jar and shake.
- Just before serving, add the dressing to the grated celeriac and apple, and the parsley. Mix well, to blend completely with the sauce.
- Spoon the salad onto serving plates, and top with another squeeze of lemon juice, and pepper. Serve the salad as soon as possible, to prevent discoloration.
The Pure Package’s Tip:
Keep your old jars – they are fantastic for shaking ingredients together, especially salad dressings. Using a food processor to grate is a super-speedy way of creating fine vegetables.
- Mains: Very Pink Salad; Turmeric Chicken kebab; Chicken with whole spices
- Sides: Herby smashed new potatoes; herbed barley cous cous; garlic-grilled sweet potatoes
This salad marries wonderfully with smoked fish – the silkiness of the fish is perfectly balanced with the crunchy bite of the celeriac. For a simple yet delicious lunch, simply top any leftovers with slices of smoked fish, and serve with a handful of baby greens.