This recipe ticks all the December boxes; because it’s moreish and creamy it tastes as if it’s preposterously unhealthy, but in fact it’s only nudging slightly towards naughtiness. It’s packed full of vitamin c, fibre and magnesium, and so makes a great side addition to any meal. Or try it with a poached egg on top for a great start to your day!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 400g baby spinach, washed and drained
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- Add the spinach and lemon zest to a medium non-stick pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the baby spinach has wilted. Drain, and squeeze out excess water (I do this by putting it into a colander and pressing down with a fork or the back of a spoon.)
- Return the drained spinach to the pan, stir in the cream cheese and mix to completely cover the spinach.
If you can’t find baby spinach, use regular spinach instead. Just remove all tough stalks, and once the spinach has been washed and drained, roll it up into a large ball, place on a chopping board, and chop through it several times with a sharp knife.
- Mains: Fish pie; Blue Cheese Burgers
- Sides: Creamy Herbed Polenta, Herby Smashed New Potatoes
This dish makes a wonderful base for our baked eggs. Simply add the spinach to the ramekin dishes where specified, and continue as per the recipe.
Recipe and photo from The Balanced Diet, available: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Package-Balance-Jennifer-Irvine/dp/0297866591