The combination of flavours and the contrast of hot pears and cold yoghurt makes this dessert fit for a dinner party.
Prep time-10 minutes
Cooking time-30 minutes
Wheat free, Gluten free, Vegetarian
- 1 tablespoon sultanas
- 2 tablespoons red grape juice
- 4 pears, peeled, cored and cut into quarters
- 120ml apple juice
- 100ml red grape juice
- 25g coconut flakes
- 100ml Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste
- Place the sultanas in a cup. Pour over the grape juice and leave to soak while you poach the pears.
- Place the pears in a heavy based pan. Pour over the apple and grape juice. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the pears are tender.
- Remove the pears with a slotted spoon and set aside. Return the pan to the heat until the juice is reduced by half, to a thick syrup. Remove from the heat.
- While the pears are poaching, heat a non stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the coconut flakes and dry for 30 seconds, tossing the pan until golden.
- Watch carefully as they burn easily. Remove from the heat.
- Mix the Greek yoghurt and vanilla paste together.
- Divide the poached pears between four serving bowls. Pour over the syrup and the sultanas. Top with the vanilla yoghurt and scatter with the toasted coconut.
If you can’t get hold of red grape juice, don’t panic. Just replace it with white or rose wine.
Recipe and photo from The Diet For Food Lovers, available: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diet-Food-lovers-Pure-Package/dp/0297866540