This is a sweet, tangy, creamy recipe, which works just as well as a dip as it does nestling up to fish or meat. It’s completely moreish, and it’s very likely that you’ll find yourself tucking into the bowl with just a spoon! Traditionally tzatziki is made with Greek yoghurt, but the sharpness of goat’s milk yoghurt offsets the sweetness of the beetroot wonderfully.
Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 10 minutes chilling time.
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 100ml goat’s milk yoghurt
- 1/4 cucumber, peeled, de-seeded and finely diced
- 100g cooked beetroot, finely diced
- Small handful of fresh mint, finely chopped
- Small handful of fresh dill, finely chopped
- Mix the oil and the vinegar with the yoghurt.
- Add the cucumber and the beetroot, stir well, then mix in the herbs. Cover, and put in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Dollop onto individual plates, or tuck into the serving bowl.
- Beetroot stains! As well as being sure to wear an apron when using it, I also wear gloves when handling it.
- Dollop into warm flatbreads with your choice of salad and some plain shredded chicken, for a hearty and fabulous lunch.
Recipe and photo from The Balanced Diet, available: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Package-Balance-Jennifer-Irvine/dp/0297866591