Renowned for its ugly appearance, celeriac’s beauty is most definitely to be found within! This is our variation of “Celeriac Remoulade”, a classic French salad which can be as simple as grated celeriac mixed with herbs and mayonnaise. We’ve livened it up a little, and made it even tastier – and healthier.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- 50ml crème fraiche
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon cornichons, roughly chopped
- 200g celeriac root, peeled and roughly grated
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, mix the crème fraiche, mustard, lemon juice, capers, and chopped cornichons.
- Just before serving, add the grated celeriac and apple, and the parsley. Mix well, to blend completely with the sauce.
- Squeeze of fresh lemon, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Spoon the salad onto individual serving plates, and top with another squeeze of lemon juice, and pepper. Serve the salad as soon as possible, to prevent discoloration.
Cornichons are small pickled gherkins, usually tangy and crunchy. If you can’t find them, simply use chopped pickled gherkins instead.
Mains: smokey garlic prawns; creole crab cakes; rare beef salad; Chicken kebab; Chicken with whole spices
Sides: Smashed new potatoes; herbed barley cous cous; garlic roasted sweet potatoes
This salad marries wonderfully with smoked fish – the silkiness of the fish is perfectly balanced with the crunchy bite of the celeriac. For a simple yet delicious lunch, simply top any leftovers with slices of smoked fish, and serve with a handful of baby greens.
Recipe and photo from The Balanced Diet, available: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Package-Balance-Jennifer-Irvine/dp/0297866591