A good chocolate sauce is one of life’s simple luxuries and it’s one of those essential recipes which can be used dozens of ways. A great way to indulge is to pair it with oranges steeped in decadent boozy syrup; originally published in our best-selling book, The Balance Diet, it’s now a firm favourite with friends and clients alike!
For a chance to win a copy of The Balance Diet, simply comment in the Facebook section below and tell us your favourite food pairing for chocolate sauce.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- 50g dark chocolate, at least 70% cocoa solids, broken into pieces
- 60ml semi-skimmed milk
- Put the chocolate and milk in a non-stick pan, and place over a low heat.
- As it starts to warm through, the chocolate will slowly melt into the milk. Stir regularly to blend and to prevent lumps.
- Without allowing it to come to the boil, take the pan off the heat once the chocolate has completely melted into a smooth sauce.
- 2 oranges, peeled, pith removed, and sliced
- 150ml orange juice
- 50ml Cointreau (or other orange liquor)
- 1 portion warm chocolate sauce (above)
- Place the sliced oranges, the orange juice, and the Cointreau / liquor in a small non-stick pan, and slowly bring to the boil over a medium flame.
- When just at the boil, reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 5 minutes, to allow the flavours to infuse.
- Remove the oranges from the warm syrup with a slotted spoon, and divide between 2 serving dishes.
- Meanwhile, increase the heat under the syrup and return to the boil, until the syrup is reduced by half, to a thick syrup.
- Spoon the warm syrup over the oranges, and top with warm chocolate sauce.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted pistachios, chopped.
- Sprinkle with the chopped pistachios and eat while still warm.
This chocolate sauce is perfect for coating pieces of fruit, as it hardens slightly as it cools. Strawberries are an obvious and delicious choice, but blackberries, blueberries and cherries make a stunning alternative.
Recipe and photo from The Balanced Diet, available: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Package-Balance-Jennifer-Irvine/dp/0297866591