This Laksa recipe was devised by Gaby on her return from holidaying in Singapore. Laksa is a spicy layered noodle soup, that’s incredibly comforting and warming in the winter.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free
- ½ red chilli, deseeded
- 2 lemongrass, tough outer leaves removed, bruised and roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3cm piece of root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon groundnut oil
- ½ onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 320g free range chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 400ml coconut milk
- 2 lime leaves
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 240g Pad Thai rice noodles
- 2 teaspoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into julienne strips
- 120g bean sprouts
- 100g sugar snap peas, cut into julienne strips
- ½ spring onion, trimmed and cut into julienne strips
- small handful coriander, leaves picked
- 35g cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- Place the chilli, lemongrass, garlic cloves and ginger in the bowl of a small food processor and blitz to a curry paste.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the curry paste and chopped onion and cook, stirring for 4-5 minutes until the onion begins to soften. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, lime leaves and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- While the laska is cooking, soak the noodles in a bowl of boiling water for around 10 minutes (or according to packet instructions). When the noodles are soft, but still have bite, drain well and then add to the chicken & coconut laksa sauce.
- Add the fish sauce, red pepper, bean sprouts, sugar snap peas and spring onion to the laska and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve family style in a big bowl and garnish with the coriander leaves and chopped cashew nuts. Dish out individually according to the rule of palm.
- Pad Thai Noodles are available online, in some large supermarkets and Asian supermarkets. If you can’t find them locally, substitute flat dried rice noodles, which is basically what they are!
Recipe and photo from The Balanced Diet, available: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Package-Balance-Jennifer-Irvine/dp/0297866591