In this French classic, meringues are poached – creating a white ‘island’ – and then carefully placed atop a ‘sea’ of raspberry coulis.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Wheat free, Gluten free, Dairy free, Vegetarian
- 200g raspberries
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 free-range egg, white only
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 drop vanilla extract
- Place the raspberries in a food processor or blender and blitz until smooth. Add the syrup and blend again.
Pour the purée into a jug or bowl through a sieve, to remove any raspberry seeds. Set to one side.
- Pour the milk into a shallow, but wide, heavy-based pan, and stir in the lemon zest. Bring to the boil over a high heat, then reduce the heat and leave to simmer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg white until it forms stiff peaks, then slowly add the syrup and vanilla extract while continuing to whisk. You will be left with a silky smooth mix.
- Remove any skin that may have formed on the top of the milk. Gently drop 4 generous tablespoons of the meringue mix into the milk, one at a time, and as far away from each other as possible. (The dollops may appear small, but as they poach
they expand and fluff up.)
- Leave to poach in the simmering milk for 2–3 minutes, then gently, using a slotted spoon, turn the islands over in the milk and leave to poach on the other side for 1–2 minutes. Divide the raspberry coulis between serving plates, spooning it liberally on to each one. Remove the meringues from the milk with a slotted spoon, tipping gently to remove any excess liquid. Place them on top of the raspberry coulis.
30g unsalted pistachio nuts,
Recipe and photo from The Balanced Diet. Order now from Amazon!