This is our take on a classic. The difference being that instead of traditional white bread, we have used wholesome rye or spelt bread, which gives added texture and flavour to the finished dish.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 2 slices rye or spelt bread
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon groundnut oil
- Beat the eggs in a bowl wide enough to hold both slices of bread. Cut the pieces of bread in half, and lay each slice in the egg. Leave to soak for about a minute before turning over for another minute.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the honey and cinnamon. Put the kettle on to boil and get a larger bowl. Put the small bowl inside the larger bowl and pour hot water into the large bowl, allowing the honey to warm through and become runny. Set aside.
- Place the groundnut oil in a non-stick frying pan over a high heat. When hot, add the egg-soaked bread. Leave to cook for 2 minutes without moving, then flip over and cook on the other side for 1–2 minutes.
- Divide the bread between the serving plates and drizzle with the cinnamon honey. Top with banana slices and blueberries, dollop a tablespoon of crème fraîche on top, and eat immediately.
1 banana, sliced
2 tablespoons half-fat crème fraîche
Recipe and photo from The Balanced Diet. Order now from Amazon!