There’s no limit to the number of ways you can serve baked eggs: choose any ingredients and pop them in the bottom of the ramekin dishes and top with an egg.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Dairy free, Vegetarian
Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas mark 7
- 1 teaspoon groundnut oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 200g baby spinach, washed
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 2 tablespoons half-fat crème fraîche
- Pinch smoked paprika
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 2 slices spelt or rye bread
- Place the oil, garlic and paprika in a non-stick saucepan, and set over a medium heat. When the garlic starts to sizzle, add the spinach, stir well and cover.Leave to cook for 2–3 minutes with the lid on, until the spinach is wilted.
- Divide the spinach and the garlicky oil between 2 lightly oiled ramekin dishes, then break an egg into each one.
- Spoon a tablespoon of crème fraîche over each egg, and sprinkle with a pinch of smoked paprika.
- Put in the oven for 15 minutes. Put the tomatoes on the baking tray with the ramekins and roast for 15 minutes.
- Toast the spelt or rye bread. Use a knife to smash the cooked tomatoes on top of the toasted bread.
- Serve the eggs in their ramekin dishes while still warm, with a slice of the tomato-topped toast accompanying each one.
There’s no limit to the number of ways you can serve baked eggs: choose any ingredients and pop them in the bottom of the ramekin dishes and top with an egg. Roasted red peppers, smoked salmon, and a few shavings of Parmesan all work well.
Recipe and photo from The Balanced Diet, available: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Package-Balance-Jennifer-Irvine/dp/0297866591