This dish by our founder, Jennifer Irvine is so simple and quick to make. The crunchy corn gives a wonderful texture and the prawns are a great source of protein. Serve in big, pasta-type bowls so all the delicious, saucy juice drips down into the rice!
Preheat oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 6
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Wheat free, gluten free, dairy free
- 120g brown basmati rice
- 60g wild rice (fast cook if possible)
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 360g cherry tomatoes
- 320g baby corn
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2.5cm piece root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ green chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 240ml coconut milk
- 360g tiger prawns, shelled and defrosted
- 600g broccoli, cut into small florets
- Cook the basmati and wild rice in separate pans of boiling water according to packet instructions (approximately 15 minutes) until tender. Drain and allow to cool slightly before stirring through the coriander.
- While the rice is cooking, spread the cherry tomatoes and baby corn in a single layer in a non stick oven proof dish. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft and bursting and the corn is brown but still crunchy. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat the groundnut oil in a medium pan or non stick wok, over a moderate heat. Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric and chilli and sauté for 1–2 minutes, without colouring. Add the coconut milk, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered for 7 minutes.
- Add the prawns, broccoli and roasted cherry tomatoes (reserving the roasted baby corn to serve) and simmer for 3-4 minutes until the prawns are just cooked and pink. The broccoli should still have bite!
This is a dish that’s adaptable to whatever you have in your fridge. Chicken or tofu instead of prawns is an easy variation.
Recipe and photo taken from The Pure Package: The DIET for Food Lovers, Jennifer Irvine, available from all leading retailers and from Amazon