Everyone knows it is important to eat healthily, especially when you are pregnant and eating for two or breastfeeding. Here we feature one of our delicious recipes from Jennifer Irvine’s ‘The Diet for Food Lovers’ – perfect for all you busy mums out there.
Your well-being during your pregnancy (or after), ensuring your baby has the vital vitamins and minerals, will also help your baby to develop and grow. We recognise that you may have less time when you’re pregnant or when you have just had a baby and so need quick, easy recipes on hand filled with all the goodness you need. Whilst pregnant or breastfeeding it is important to eat regular, small meals whilst keeping an eye on your portions. It is also imperative that you eat lots of essential fats, which can be found in avocados for example. With this in mind, we want to show you busy pregnant and new mums a delicious, time saving recipe crammed with fresh and nutritious produce.
Pea and Avocado Guacamole
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- 80g frozen peas, defrosted
- ½ an avocado, peeled and stoned
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
- pinch ground cumin
- pinch ground coriander
- 1 plum tomato, skinned, deseeded and finely chopped
- A small handful fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 4 sticks celery, trimmed and cut into batons
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into batons
- Place the peas in the bowl of a food processor with the avocado, lime juice, chilli, yoghurt, ground cumin and ground coriander. Blitz to a smooth dip.
- Transfer to a bowl and fold through the chopped tomato and fresh chopped coriander
- Prepare your celery sticks and red pepper batons.
- Serve the guacamole in dipping bowls with the raw vegetables.
To make your avocado easier to peel, dip the avocado into a bowl of boiling water for 10 seconds then remove. The skin will peel away from the flesh with ease, it may also keep the avocado from going black as quickly.