Treat your mum to breakfast in bed this Mother’s Day. Our recipe for poached eggs with wilted spinach & feta cheese is quick and easy to make and is so yummy too!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- 300g baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon groundnut oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 30g feta cheese, crumbled
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices rye bread
- 4 free-range eggs, at room temperature
1) Heat a large pan or wok over a high heat; add the spinach and cook, stirring for 2–3 minutes until wilted. Transfer to a sieve and squeeze to drain.
2) Return the pan to the heat, add the groundnut oil and shallots and cook over a low heat for 4–5 minutes until soft but not coloured. Return the spinach to the pan, add the feta and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat, season with black pepper and set aside.
3) Bring a pan of water to the boil, ready to poach the eggs.
4) Toast the rye bread.
5) While the bread is toasting, crack the eggs gently into the pan. (The water should be just below boiling point, not rapidly boiling.) If you are nervous of poaching, then crack each egg into a cup first and turn them out into the water. Leave to cook for 2–3 minutes until the white is firm and the yolk is soft.
Arrange the rye toast on serving plates, spoon over the spinach and top with the poached eggs. Grind over a little black pepper to taste.
To check if your eggs are poached, stick a fork into the white, close to the yolk. It should be firm and not have any stringy, jelly bits attached to the fork when you pull it out. Use the freshest free-range eggs possible for poaching and always have them at room temperature.
Recipe and photo taken from The Pure Package: The DIET for Food Lovers, Jennifer Irvine, available from all leading retailers and from Amazon