Pumpkins are available in abundance in October. They are very rich in carotenoids, which are known to help keep your immune system strong and healthy – a helpful boost during the cold winter months.
This sauce is really yummy and can be used as a base for other vegetable, fish or meat curries if you like.
Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Wheat Free, Dairy Free, Gluten Free
- 1/2 small pumpkin – peeled, deseeded and cut into bite-size pieces
- 320g broccoli,
- cut into small florets
- 120g brown basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Thai green curry paste
- 160g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 600ml coconut milk
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 250g sugar snap peas
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
1) Tip the pumpkin into a non-stick roasting tray and roast in the oven for 15–20 minutes or until soft. Remove from the oven and set aside.
2) Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3) Cook the rice in a pan of boiling water for 20–25 minutes or according to the packet instructions until tender. Drain.
4) Meanwhile, heat the groundnut oil in a wok or large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes until soft but not coloured. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for a further 1 minute.
5) Add the curry paste and stir in the mushrooms, coating them in the paste. Stir in the peanut butter, coconut milk, lime juice and tamari and cook for 2 minutes.
6) Add the blanched broccoli, sugar snap peas and roasted pumpkin to the curry and simmer for 5–8 minutes. Check the seasoning and add more lime juice or tamari if needed.
7) Add the coriander to the curry and stir through just before you are about to serve.
Transfer the rice and curry to serving plates and serve family style on the table.
Recipe taken from The Pure Package: The DIET for Food Lovers, Jennifer Irvine, available from all leading retailers and from Amazon