We love this recipe at PP HQ. So much so, that there is often a bit of a push and shove at the lunch table on a Monday to “bagsy” one! The best thing about this indulgent delight is that it not only tastes great, it is also good for you! Dark chocolate is a rich source of antioxidants and a recent article in the huffington post made for some interesting reading.
Eat as a mousse or pop it into the freezer to make a lovely ice cream
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- 100g plain dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 8 free-range egg whites, at room temperature
- cocoa powder, for dusting
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl isn’t touching the water. Leave to cool slightly and then stir in the cocoa powder.
- The secret to this recipe is to have the temperature of the chocolate and eggs similar so nothing is shocked. Whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry and grease-free bowl until they form soft peaks, then fold them into the cooled melted chocolate.
- Spoon the mixture into small cups or ramekins and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
Dust with a little cocoa powder before serving. Why not top with raspberries or hazelnuts to give it some extra crunch and flavour?
Recipe and photo taken from The Pure Package: The DIET for Food Lovers, Jennifer Irvine, available from all leading retailers and from Amazon