Try this delicious salad which has complementary sweet and savoury components. Venison has higher iron levels than any other red meat, contains essential omega 3 fats and has less fat than a skinned breast of chicken.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Wheat Free, Gluten Free
120ml apple juice
3 large pears, cored and cut into thin wedges
80ml balsamic vinegar
400g asparagus tips, trimmed
2 large handfuls rocket
200g smoked venison, thinly sliced
20g Parmesan cheese, shaved
freshly ground black pepper
1) Bring the apple juice and water to the boil in a pan. Add the pears and poach over a low heat for 12–15 minutes until tender. Remove the pears with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
2) Return the pan to the heat. Add the vinegar, bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer until reduced by half. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
3) Bring a pan of water to the boil. Add the asparagus and cook for 2–3 minutes until tender. Drain.
4) In a large mixing bowl, mix the rocket, asparagus and balsamic vinegar reduction until well combined.
5) Arrange the rocket salad on one large platter and scatter over the pears, venison slices, Parmesan and walnuts. Season with black pepper.
You can buy smoked venison at waitrose or ocado, otherwise order it by mail order from The Pure Package’s supplier Upton Smokery (http://www.uptonsmokery.co.uk/).
Recipe and photo taken from The Pure Package: The DIET for Food Lovers, Jennifer Irvine, available from all leading retailers and from Amazon