Try this delicious summery recipe. Crab is a good source of a number of trace minerals including selenium, which has been known to counteract cancer and chromosome damage as well as increase our resistance to viral and bacterial infections.
Crab, Chilli & Rocket Salad (Serves 4)
Recipe taken from The Pure Package: The DIET for Food Lovers, Jennifer Irvine, available from all leading retailers and from Amazon
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Wheat free, Gluten free, Dairy free
120g vermicelli rice noodles
3 red chillis, deseeded and finely chopped
1 lemongrass stalk, finely chopped
1cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled
1 tablespoon mirin
350g white crabmeat
2 handfuls coriander
3 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
3 teaspoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons water
200g mangetout, trimmed
200g red cabbage
grated zest of 1
1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
1) Put the noodles in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to soak until just tender, about 5 minutes or according to the packet instructions. Drain and rinse
under cold water, then drain again.
2) Heat 1 teaspoon of sesame oil in a small frying pan. Add 1/3 of the chilli, lemongrass and the finely chopped ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the mirin, remove from the heat and toss through the noodles. Cover and set aside to allow the flavours to develop.
3) Mix the crabmeat with 1/3 of the chilli, a large handful of coriander (finely chopped) and lime zest
4) To make the dressing, place the ginger, remaining chilli, coriander, tamari, sesame oil and water in a small food processor or blender and blitz to a paste. Decant into a serving jug.
5) Cut the mangetout into julienne strips. Using a mandolin or sharp knife, slice the red cabbage very (paper) thin.
Arrange the rocket, noodles, red cabbage, mangetout and crab mixture on a serving plate.