Every day we hear from our clients, and see for ourselves, just how powerful the effect of good, wholesome food can be on one’s health and well-being. So here at The Pure Package we are absolutely delighted to be supporting The Kids Cookery School.
When searching for a charity to support, we wanted to find one that, like The Pure Package, embraces food with its heart and soul. The Kid’s Cookery School (KCS) fitted this brief absolutely perfectly.
The Kids’ Cookery School is a cookery school for children and young people aged 3 years upwards which has charitable status. They believe that all children should have the opportunity to learn to cook and eat healthy food so that they can make good food choices and look forward to a healthier future.
KCS identified 3 fundamental areas where practical cookery can benefit a young person’s life, namely:
- Health: students learn about basic nutrition, how to prepare healthy and tasty dishes from fresh ingredients and to cook in a safe and hygienic way.
- Social: As students become more independent, work together and learn about other cultures through food they can share their skills with family and friends.
- Educational: students learn a practical life skill and some students can achieve an accredited qualification in cookery.
At KCS, students learn to cook healthy and delicious dishes from fresh ingredients, learning in an environment which is challenging, supportive and inspiring.
They run a number of cookery projects, including:
- Introduction to cookery and healthy eating: a one-off workshop for students of any age where they make two simple dishes and learn about balanced diets.
- Cookery workshops for children with complex special needs: KCS is fully wheelchair friendly and all equipment is suitable for wheelchair users.
- Private group bookings
- Open sessions during school holidays: classes open to any children aged 3-16 years old. An assisted places scheme allows children whose parents are on income support to attend at a subsidised rate.
- Practical cookery for children and parents in children’s centres.
- Outreach work in schools and community centres: healthy eating workshops or practical cookery activities at your school or community centre.
- KCS are unique in that they tailor-make all of their sessions to meet the needs and requirements of your school, community group or children’s centre.
KCS also deliver cookery workshops to schools, community groups and special needs groups anywhere in Greater London through a new initiative: KCS on Wheels. For more information, please visit their website.