Courtesy of a recent issue of Delicious Magazine, I came across this really delicious (excuse the pun!) recipe that I thought was definitely worth sharing.
It is a great spring/summer salad that is bursting with anti-oxidants. Beetroot and fennel, great mood boosting vegetables, are low in fat and full of antioxidants, folic acid, fibre, potassium, magnesium…the list goes on… Substitute the ricotta with feta cheese if you want a richer, more flavoursome cheese.
- 4 large or 8 medium raw beetroot
- 2 fennel bulbs, finely sliced, fronds reserved
- 2 medium oranges
- 1 tbsp walnut oil
- 200g fresh ricotta
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Wrap the beetroot in foil and roast in the oven for 40 minutes until tender.
2) Meanwhile, put the sliced fennel in a bowl and drizzle with 1 tbsp of the extra-virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and the zest of 1 of the oranges (reserve the orange). Set aside to allow the flavours to infuse.
3) Peel the other orange with a serrated knife, discarding the zest, then segment and set aside. Squeeze the juice from the reserved zested orange into a small bowl and season well. Whisk in the remaining olive oil and the walnut oil.
4) When the beetroot are cooked, remove from the foil, allow to cool slightly and peel off the skin (you may want to wear rubber gloves to prevent your hands from staining).
5) Thickly slice and place on a warmed plate with the fennel and the orange segments. Spoon over the ricotta and drizzle with the dressing. Scatter over the reserved fennel fronds and serve warm or cold.